I’ve worked with hundreds of people building brands… The ONE THING I see the most is that they’re busy… Busy doing stuff, making stuff, delivering stuff. Sometimes so busy that they are complaining and wondering where all their time is going.
They’re running around in circles trying to make headway with not enough time in the day. They’re overwhelmed with the amount of things to do and constantly not feeling like they’re getting anything done.
Of course, I’ve been there too. But notanymoree.
There’s nothing wrong with being busy… running a business is most often going to require effort and ‘doing’ things, lots of them.
I like being busy myself. I enjoy the satisfaction of taking on tasks and getting them done. But I really don’t enjoy being so busy that I feel stressed and overburdened.
My life is nowhere near as busy as it was, and I chose that consciously, and only recently I realised why I don’t feel stressed (most of the time…) HERE’S WHY…
- I have a plan in place that I believe in that take me there, that I can action every day in a small way
- I have created a lifestyle that nurtures me creatively
- I have a tribe of great people that support me emotionally and professionally
- I have developed a system of habits that I know keep me on track
- Most of all – I have a clear vision on where I want to be, what I want to do and why
I’ve been through a journey of ups and downs, testing and building products and programs, slowly building a newfound confidence and clarity that means I can now be calm and centred and just get on with it.
Through living those ups and downs, I recognised why people get stressed, running around doing things, trying to get things done.
It’s because they don’t have a really clear idea about why they’re doing what they’re doing, where it’s taking them.
Of what the bigger picture of their vision is.
Where it’s all heading. What it’s all for.
Here’s what happens…We take on things to do… Often from duty or habit rather than from a really clear, conscious choice. We start doing it… either thinking –
- I really don’t want to be doing this
- Am I doing it right?
- Why am I doing this again?
- Why did I agree to do this?
- I shouldn’t have to be doing this
- I’ve had enough of doing this
- I don’t have time to be doing this
- I wonder if this is the best use of my time? I should be doing something else
Rarely do people think…
- This is EXACTLY what I should be doing…I’m glad I’ve chosen this and I’m enjoying it immensely!
- I probably would rather not be doing this, but I know why it needs to be done and I’m happy getting on with it, because I know it’s going to help me move forward.
People end up doing things thinking they should be doing something else, or wondering if they’re doing the right thing. Or they continue doing stuff, keeping themselves busy because when they stop, they don’t really like to feel and listen to the frustration of asking the deeper questions around – what do I REALLY want to be doing?
If you haven’t really got to the heart of what you really want to do it, you won’t recognise whether what you’re doing is what you want to do! You’ll keep wondering and questioning what it’s all for and resent the time you’re spending on it, constantly seeking and searching for more fulfilling or enjoyable ways to spend your time.
When you have a clear vision, you know what your choices are and you make your decisions based on clear and conscious outcomes. You know that this particular action, on this particular day is one baby step closer towards a bigger vision and you can immerse yourself in the process of whatever it is more easily, even if it’s something you’d really rather not be doing. All of a sudden, you enjoy what you’re doing, knowing why you’re doing it. You’ve got an organising life goal and a series of actions you’re taking towards it. Some bigger, some smaller, some more enjoyable… but everything has a purpose and a bigger reason why… You’re working towards something real and meaningful and enjoyable!